Thursday 18 December 2014

The Art Of Saving

Occasionally, I'll come across articles either featured or shared by friends on FB on the art of saving. I've read so many that I conclude they offer the same advice. That's exactly my saving habits save for the investment part which is for wealth growth. If we're just talking about purely saving up, there's just 1 rule: spend less or earn more. Some things you just can't save on. Like a 5 minutes job spraying the wasps' nest costing me $60. It's inevitable that when your earnings go up, you increase your quality of life & hence spend more. So earning more isn't necessarily the solution to saving more.

I remember when I 1st joined nursing, my basic pay was $1.5k. Add in the shift allowance, minus the CPF deductions, I bring home between $1.3k to $1.5k. We often have to stay back to finish up the work (not paid) & get 1 day off a week. I hated the days where I had an afternoon shift followed by morning shift. While the afternoon shift ends at 9 pm, I don't exactly leave at that time. So by the time I got home, it would be just before midnight & I have to be at work by 7 am the next day. Perhaps it was the long & irregular hours & the precious 1 day off per week that earning $1.5k a month was sufficient. Of course, I was still living with my parents & the only bills I paid were mobile & internet bills. Some weeks we go for 12 days before a day off. Off on a Monday on week 1 then Sunday on week 2. I hated working in the ward. So I applied, appealed & re-appealed to be transferred to the operating theatre.

Working in theatre means I get $250 theatre allowance. I still got shift allowance as I had to do morning, afternoon & on call. Then, I hated being on call coz I had to work from 11 am to 10 am the next day. More often than not, I had to work throughout the night. That's 23 hours of work. While raking in overtime rates from 11 pm to 7 am, I'm not good with zero sleep. It's a terrible system anyway coz surely we're not safe when we're sleep deprived & we're dealing with human lives here. With the extra income, I probably was bringing home between $1.8k to $1.9k a month. I wondered how did I ever survive on a $1.3k salary.

Fast forward to recent years. I became a Senior Staff Nurse & my basic pay in my last job was $3.3k. Theatre allowance was still $250 despite it being 10 years later. My net pay was slightly below $3k. But I couldn't save at all. Of course, by now, I had to support not just myself but my parents too. By the time I'm done paying bills & living expenses, I can barely save $200 a month. Throw in the debts my parents raked up, that costly divorce & the $20k I didn't manage to recover, I had like $20k in savings despite working for 10 years.

With that money I had, I came to Perth. If you've read my old posts, you will know that very rapidly, the money dwindled down to just barely $6k in the span of 6 weeks. I did envy those younger couples who had it going for them. But I know my path, though a rough 1, is meant to polish me. Becoz I have been there, I have been rock bottom down, I appreciate what I have even more. As the saying goes, compare your present self to your past self, not with someone else.

I work lesser hours than I did in SG, between 20 to 30 hours lesser a week. But I'm netting almost twice my salary in SG. While I have to send $1k back to SG every month, I still manage to save at least $1760 a month. It's so precise coz $1k comes from me & hubs transfers $430 to me every fortnight when he gets his pay for rent (our weekly rent is $430 you see). Whatever money he transfers to me goes into the savings account. I keep tabs on my bank balance & the day before my salary is due to be paid, I take note of the amount left. Once the money is in the next day, I'll transfer $1k plus the balance from the previous day. Building my savings 1 pay day at a time.

I read that someone told Nix as mentioned in his recent post that Australia is at its worst in 39 years. I don't know about job security here. I won't know if either of us will suddenly lose our jobs. But we just have to take it 1 day at a time & never lose sight of our goals. Yes, it's easy for appreciation to fade into contentment, then discontentment when we start taking things for granted. Then we just have to constantly compare what we have now to what we had in the past. Most importantly, the peace that eludes me in SG pays me a visit every now & then. I'll work on it more. Am I wearing rose tinted glasses? Nah, just the glasses of plain old gratitude for things big & small.

11 comments:

  1. Happy to see both of you slowly getting used to and enjoying being in Perth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congradulations!

    I too find the Singapore nursing system flawed in the ways it does not address the systemic risks it inflicts on staff and clients' health. I agree with your observation of the ridiculous afternoon-to-day shift switch, given the expectation to stay-on (without pay) after the official work-ending-time and to arrive early (without pay) before the official work-ending-time. And the low pay, the easiest thing to modify in money-centred Singapore is clearly not deemed a priority to address properly.

    > I work lesser hours than I did in SG, between 20 to 30 hours lesser a week. But I'm netting almost twice my salary in SG.

    Similar experience here in B.C., Canada. That's when you know nurses are really treated as professionals overseas (i.e. away from Singapore). Plus no such nonsense as being "forced" to work when one feels that one is not sufficiently rested. Not sure about the situation in Aussie, for here in B.C., Canada, we have the strong nurses' and other unions to thank for the respectful and humane work hours/expectations. Also, no such thing as "must" arrive before official work hours (without pay) and/or stay to do "ECA" (non-nursing related add-on) duties after official work hours (without pay).

    Yes, just thinking about the work conditions alone is enough to keep my friend PY and myself away from the Singapore nursing system that we've left. Other ex-Singapore nurses who visit my blog also agree -- e.g. BoneCollector, CK, and Anonymous on Thursday, November 07, 2013 8:14:00 AM to list a few.

    Keep counting one's blessings for having the opportunity and making full use of it to live a better life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. > I won't know if either of us will suddenly lose our jobs.

      p.s. I don't know how the Aussie system works, but if either myself or my husband suddenly lose our jobs in B.C., Canada through no fault of our own (e.g. lay-offs due to bad economy or firm's downturn), we are covered by the Canadian Federal Employment Insurance (EI) scheme for "55% of your average insurable weekly earnings" (up to CA$514/week in 2014) "for a period ranging from 14 to 45 weeks". This will give us some buffer to ride the bad times, look for other income sources and/or re-locate to find work.

      In fact, I will be applying to receive EI benefits for 15-weeks maternity and (up to 35 weeks) parental leave soon if all goes well. Again, I will get up to 55% of my average insurable income. I will not be rich, but definitely enough to live-on while I spend time with my baby-to-be.

      Given the EI scheme, neither my husband nor myself are too worried about sudden job-losses and/or other job-income related mishaps while we take steps towards starting our family. Therein lies the effect of truly family-oriented government policies.

      Delete
    2. In Australia, there is Centre Link. If we lose our jobs we can apply for Centre Link payments. I'm not sure how much we can get but we must have been in the country for a minimum of 6 months.

      The reason I'm worried is becoz I had a hard time getting employed. Out of so many jobs I applied for, only 1 gave me the chance of an interview & subsequently gave me the job due to my relevant experience. I tried applying for casual positions to do during the weekend so I can increase my earnings. But not even 1 got back to me. So I know if I were to lose my job, it'll be almost impossible to find another 1.

      Delete
  3. you might want to read about this too:
    http://www.tremeritus.com/2015/01/20/gan-didnt-reveal-no-of-healthcare-scholarships-to-fts/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all, is it ok if I quote some of the figures on the blog here, esp the salary. Am writing an article why Singaporean locals do not want to go into nursing in Singapore... of course, top most reason I'd say would be pay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Latest news from SG, in case you guys are interested to read:
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/nurses-sales-assistants/1618454.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kojakbt, it's not just the pay. It's the treatment of nurses by doctors & the public. There's a lot of verbal abuse that we're suffer. We're expected to be efficient despite being severely overworked.

    In WA, nurse to patient ratio in the ward is 1:5 maximum. I used to have 18 patients under my charge & up to 25 on night shifts in Sg. While I have another RN, she's the medication nurse & doesn't follow up changes. That was more than 10 years ago. Not sure about the current situation in the wards. But it certainly put me off working in the wards for the rest of my nursing life in Sg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok sis, will mention all these too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My email: kojakbt@gmail.com ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. just published this:)

    http://www.tremeritus.com/2015/01/30/govt-hard-to-get-sg-locals-to-become-nurse/

    ReplyDelete